By default, the Octiv managed package creates relationships from the Octiv Documents object to these standard Salesforce objects: Opportunity, Account, Case, Contact, and Lead. You can create documents from these objects out of the box with no additional configuration. If you want to create documents from other objects, you can add lookups to those objects (including custom objects) on the Octiv Documents object. This lookup allows you to create a custom button and show a related list of documents on that object.
Follow these steps to create a custom lookup field:
- Click Setup
- In the settings pane on the left-hand side of the page, go to Build => Create => Objects
- Click Octiv Document
- In the Custom Fields & Relationships related list, click New
- In Data Type, select Lookup Relationship
- Click Next
- From the dropdown menu, select the object you’d like to relate to Octiv Documents
- Click Next
- Enter the Field Label and Field Name (without the __c) of the object you chose and click Next. The Field Name must exactly match the Object Name name of your custom object. (Optionally, you can make the field required, set the deletion action, and create a lookup filter. We also recommend writing a good description for future documentation purposes.)
- Make sure the reference field is marked as visible to all profiles and not marked as read only and click Next
- Create a Related List label. We recommend Octiv Documents
- Check the Add Field box next to the Document Layout Page Layout and confirm that the Related List is being added to your desired Page Layouts using the checkboxes next to the Page Layout names
- Click Save
To verify the setup completed correctly, go to the parent object and select a record. On the record detail page, the new Related List should appear with a New Octiv Document button. Click the button, and a new Octiv Document should open in your Salesforce account.
Did this article help?
Please provide us your feedback below.