When you add a field or dimension to a column or row, a multi-level slider located at the top of the Filters pane allows you to set the level of aggregation to use for viewing the data. The number of fields or dimensions in the row or column determines the number of levels on the slider; measures are not reflected in the slider.
Note: You cannot adjust levels on time series charts.
Follow these steps to use the Slider:
- Select Create > Ad Hoc View from the menu.
- In the Data Chooser, select foodmart data for crosstab and click Chart.
- Drag the following from the Fields panel to the Layout Band:
- Drag Store Sales from Measures to Columns. The view changes to show a column with the total. No slider is added for measures.
- Drag Product Family from Fields to Columns. The Data Level area is shown in the Filters panel, with a Columns slider added.
- Drag Date from Fields to Rows. A Rows slider is added to the Data Level area in the Filters panel.
- Use the sliders to see how the view changes.
The sliders help you explore your data visually in a number of ways:
- The slider reflects the hierarchy of the row or column groups, as determined by the order in which fields are arranged in the Layout Band.
- Hovering over a setting on the slider shows the name of the field or dimension corresponding to that setting.
- When you pivot a chart, slider settings are persevered and applied to the new target. For example, if you have the Row slider set to Month, the Column slider is set to Month when you pivot. See Pivoting a Chart for more information.
- When you remove the currently selected level from a row or column, the slider is reset to the total; when you remove a field that is not selected, the level remains the same. When you add a field or dimension to a row or column, the number of levels of the slider changes to reflect your addition. When you change the order of the fields in a row or column, the level on the slider changes to reflect the new level of the field corresponding to the selection.
Did this article help?
Please provide us your feedback below.